Yum! This is a warm, spicy, and delicious surprisingly low-carb soup/stew. I strongly suggest adding Ras El Hanout spice to your collection. It’s a 26-ingredient essential spice mix for Moroccan cooking that I discovered on a trip to San Francisco…I buy this blend from Pinch Spice Market. (It uses cumin, black pepper, paprika, grains of paradise, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, lemon peel, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, juniper, nutmeg, galangal, ginger, mace, fenugreek, mustard, clove, anise seed, licorice, rose, lavender, ajwain, hibiscus, fennel, white pepper.) Okay, so enough about trying to convince you…it’s optional and shouldn’t be the reason you don’t make this recipe…
- Yield: 8 bowls of soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Spicy chicken stew
This is DELICIOUS! – I was skeptical of the amount of tomato in the recipe (at the time of making it, I wasn't craving tomato soup). Also, I was hesitant to add cocoa powder to the recipe – the chocolate flavor is delicious in mole sauce, so I gave it a chance.
Please give it a try...I hope you love it.
- butter - 1 tablespoon
- chopped onions - 1/2 cup
- cubed chicken breasts - 2 pounds
- bulk Italian sausage - 1 pound
- Ras El Hanout moroccan spice (optional) - 1 tablespoon
- canned tomatoes (diced) - 1 can (28 oz.)
- canned green chilies - 1 can (4.5 oz.)
- tomato sauce - 1 can (8 oz.)
- minced garlic - 3 tablespoons
- paprika - 2 tablespoons
- ground cumin - 1 tablespoon
- dried oregano leaves - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 2 teaspoons
- cayenne pepper - 1 teaspoon
- chicken broth - 1 cup
- cocoa powder - 1.5 tablespoons
- lime juice - 1/4 cup
- cilantro leaves - for garnish
- red pepper flakes - for garnish
- sour cream - for garnish
- Add the butter, onion, chicken, sausage, and Ras El Hanout (optional) to your Instant Pot. set it to "Sauté" mode. Stir until the onions are soft and the meat begins to cook (about 5 minutes).
- While sautéing, make a tomato puree by adding the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chilies to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add this newly blended tomato mixture, garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine. Press the "Cancel" button on the Instant Pot to stop the sauté process.
- Seal the lid, press "Manual" and set to high pressure. Adjust the timer to 20 minutes. Once cooking is done, allow the pressure to release naturally (this took me about an additional 15 minutes).
- Once the lid is released, stir in the remaining lime juice. Ladle the stew into bowls and garnish with sour cream, cilantro, and red pepper flakes.
I save all leftovers by ladling them into quart size Ziploc bags and freezing.