These snacks fill the craving I get for Cheez-It® crackers when I’m on a low carb meal plan. The ones I make aren’t a copycat since they don’t use flour, but they’ve only got one keto-friendly ingredient…cheese.
I make them ½” x ½” rather than the typical 1″ x 1″ size of Cheez-Its so I get more to crunch on in each batch.
- Yield: 288 squares
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Baked Cheese Squares
The trick to making this homemade substitute version of Cheez-It® crackers is to let the cheese dry completely before baking. Use pre-sliced cheese to make it simple. You'll love these single ingredient keto crackers!
- Sliced Cheese - 8 slices
- Cut each slice of cheese into ½" x ½" squares. Spread pieces on a baking pan lined with parchment paper...don't oil it.
- Cover your baking sheet with a kitchen towel and allow your cheese to dry completely (this may take 2–3 days).
- Once your cheese is dry and you're almost ready to snack, preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Loosely cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil. When your oven reaches temperature, cook your cheese squares for about 4–5 minutes. Cheese will puff and pop as it cooks (the aluminum should contain it all).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
This DOES NOT work with American Cheese (Kraft Singles).
Favorite cheese for the best flavor: Tillamook Pepper Jack from Costco
Cheez-It is a registered trademark of the Kellogg Company. These are not Cheez-Its.
Disclaimer: Always consult your physician before beginning any diet or exercise program. This general information is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your healthcare professional. Consult with your healthcare professional to design an appropriate exercise prescription or diet. If you experience any pain or difficulty, stop and consult your healthcare provider.